Monday, April 16, 2007

The Tour of the Fireflies Experience by Bernice Ejercito

For the first time in years, I actually did something to celebrate Earth Day. I joined the Tour of the Fireflies: a 50km bike ride to promote clean air and as a member of SolarGeneration, clean energy as well. A newbie of SolarGeneration, that was the first activity I took part of, I was even so excited I couldn’t sleep the night before. Nonetheless, I woke up early the next day to make it to the event on time. When I arrived at Tiendesitas, hundreds of people were already there for registration and, of course, SolarGeneration and Greenpeace groups were early too, to set up the Solar CafĂ©. On that day, hundreds of cups of coffee and stickers were given away thanks to volunteers, including me, who patiently distributed and brewed coffee using the solar powered coffee brewer.

About an hour later the actual bike ride began. I think almost a million people participated in this event and roads were actually packed full of them [bikers]. The tour itself was exhausting and the heat was deadly but thanks to my bike buddies Mac and Maricar [GPSEA Philippines volunteers], I eventually made it to the finish line.

Back in Tiendesitas, members of SolarGeneration [Manila] were continuously having petitions signed to promote clean energy [for ADB to stop funding coal projects]. What’s amazing about this is that people from all ages actually get together to fight for a common goal like RG [fellow SG Manila member] who is only 15 and what’s great about it is that the youth seem to be getting more and more aware and involved with issues regarding the environment. Tired and exhausted, I sat down to lunch with my fellow SolarGeneration and Greenpeace volunteers and realized that despite the heat, the exhausting bike ride, and all the hard work put into the coffee and petitions, it was worth it because I got to meet new people, had so much fun and was even able to help save the earth in my own little way.

No comments:

Simple lang, pledge for the planet!