Thursday, June 14, 2007

Live Earth and my "Rock" Idol

Even if the Philippines is not one of official Live Earth venues, I am still so psyched for the event! 22 days to go and the world will be rocking, not to gloom-and-doom scenarios of climate change impacts but to hopeful climate change solutions! (Hmmm I wonder how much "carbon" the event will be generating) but, hey, it's worth a shot. Just imagine the billions of people this event will be reaching and all in a day! Never mind the timezone differences, the very important thing this concert will bring is solidarity of the whole world for an issue that transcends all gender, all colors, all cultures, all lifestyles and all ages!

Lifestyle eh? Yes. I just found out from the Live Earth site that my first-ever rock idol is not just an ultra-great climber but a green sports star as well. She's Lynn Hill and as the Live Earth webby says, "Rock-star climber Hill wants to climb every mountain and shout about protecting the great outdoors. At her Boulder, Colo., home, she's installed solar panels on her roof, and when she goes out on speaking events, she helps raise money for a local environmental group, Global Green Grants." I really love rockclimbing and the outdoors and finding out that one of my (rock) heroes are interested in the same stuff that I am interested in just makes me fall in love with both the advocacy and rockclimbing all over again!


Now I can really say, "When I grow up, I want to be like Lynn Hill."

By the way, the following is LiveEarth's 7-point pledge:
  1. To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next 2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90 percent in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy Earth;
  2. To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become "carbon neutral;"
  3. To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2;
  4. To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;
  5. To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;
  6. To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests; and,
  7. To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and prosperous world for the 21st century.
What's your pledge?

N.B. Photo taken from the Live Earth website

-oOo-

No comments:

Simple lang, pledge for the planet!